Among the basic senses, it is the sense of sight that we value the most. Since the ability to see is very important to all, vision supplements have been formulated to preserve the health of the eyes. Ocuvite Lutein is a natural supplement that provides nutrition for our eyes. It contains essential antioxidant vitamins, minerals and lutein that play an important role in a person’s ocular health.
Ocuvite Lutein, from the name itself, consists of lutein, a carotenoid found in dark leafy green vegetables such as spinach or kale. It can also be found in egg yolks but in smaller concentrations. Lutein is responsible for the yellow colors of fruits and vegetables. Because lutein cannot be reproduced in the body, it must be ingested in our diets or taken through supplements.
High amounts of lutein are found in the center of the retina, which is the macula. The macula is the portion of the eye responsible for central vision. It is also the part of the eye that is most sensitive to blue light and ultraviolet light that can damage the eyes. Lutein can help protect against this damage by filtering blue light before it enters the macula. Without enough consumption, the lutein in the eye may reduce with age.
Ocuvite Lutein is formulated to supply a significant amount of lutein (6mg) in a single capsule. Eye care professionals suggest that 6mg of lutein should be taken per day to help maintain proper eye health. If you choose to eat foods with lutein, you’d have to eat over 2 bowls of raw spinach to get the recommend dose of 6mg. You could also take multivitamins but the average multivitamin supplement only has 4% of the recommended lutein amount. Ocuvite Lutein is the easiest way to make sure you get the lutein that you need.
Ocuvite lutein also provides 100% of the US Daily Values for the antioxidant vitamins C, E, and the minerals zinc and copper. It can be taken together with other vitamin and mineral supplements as a part of a daily dose regimen to maximize the daily lutein intake. Other ingredients of Ocuvite Lutein are: Lactose monohydrate, Crospovidone, Magnesium Stearate, Silicon dioxide.
But it is also important that we take care of our eyes and not depend only on eye care supplements. To help maintain ocular health and protect our vision, Bausch & Lomb Incorporated has the following tips:
• Fortify your vision – Be sure you are getting enough antioxidants like vitamin A, C, and E. Lutein and omega-3 fatty acids are now in studies to determine the effects they have in slowing age-related macular degeneration. And studies show, the average diet includes only a fraction of the nutrients recommended for healthy vision.
• Get exercise – It improves blood circulation, which improves oxygen levels to the eyes and the removal of toxins.
• Eat healthy – High-fat diets can cause deposits that constrict blood flow in the arteries. The eyes are especially sensitive to this, given the small size of the blood vessels that feed them.
• Stop smoking – Smoking limits the blood flow to the eyes and increases oxidative stress.
• Protect your eyes – Always wear eye protection that filters out as much UV light as possible. Also, wearing a hat with a brim will greatly reduce the amount of UV radiation slipping around the side of your sunglasses.
• See your eye care professional regularly -- Changes in your vision can occur without you noticing, and the earlier these changes are detected the better your treatment options.